is it just me?

Friday, May 27, 2005

 

say what?

so that last post reminded me of another story. A while ago a friend of mine and I went out for some drinks. As often happens with us, we ended up sitting at the bar drinking wine for about 5 hours. There was a bartender who had been serving us. He made some good wine suggestions, and was friendly without being annoying. We had gone to a fancy bar where we can't afford the food but at least we can sit at the swank bar and pretend to be rich. So, after way too much wine, we are getting ready to leave. As we're signing the check the bartender leans in very conspiratorially and says "This is the first time I've (blank) since my wife left me."

Okay, that seems important. But neither of us heard what he said. I think we asked him to repeat it, but we still couldn't hear (there was live music) and with something that is clearly a confession, there are only so many times (probably zero) that you can politely say, "huh?" On the way home we're playing a frantic game of MadLibs trying to figure out what he said. We finally decide on "flirted". It has the right number of syllables, it makes sense. I didn't really feel like he was flirting but maybe he's out of practice.

Fast forward a month or so. I'm at a different wine bar with my husband and another couple. The waiter comes out and says to me "You've been here before" which I had not. But then my husband recognizes him from the other place where I had been with my friend (he met up with us towards the end of the evening). Turns out he doesn't work there anymore. He goes off to get us some menus, and when he comes back he says "I remember who you are. In fact, I remember EXACTLY who you are." And I think "Shit, the fact that I don't know what he confessed is actually going to come back to haunt me." So, he waits on us all night, and we don't really talk to him too much. As he brings me the check he leans in and says "I was quite taken with your friend, so if you wanted to tell her I work here I wouldn't mind." I say that I'll tell her, which is true, but what I won't say is that she's married. I mean, I can just tell my friend never to go there, and the guy will never know. I feel bad about it, sure, but hey. It's really not my problem. So I am actually thinking that it's kind of movie-like that he likes this girl and then her friend comes into his new place, but of course in the movies my friend and I would show up the next night and they'd fall in love. Just as I am feeling a touch romantic, the waiter comes back and says "Oh - I was taken with you, too, until he (pointing at my husband) showed up." And now you've ruined it. I don't feel bad that you are taken with my friend and not me. Most guys would be. And we actually look nothing alike, so it is not too likely that you are genuinely taken with both of us. So I called my friend and told her the story and made fun of the guy. the end.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?