is it just me?

Monday, July 18, 2005

 

Oh $*%&!

Yesterday we were driving down the highway and we saw a billboard that had kind of a cartoony picture of a guy falling of a ladder with the title of this post as the caption. It was for lawyers who defend people who have had workplace accidents. I mean, really. That's the best you can do? I am sure that good marketing people are hard to find, but I think we can do better than someone says "Oh shit!" as they fall off a ladder. Honestly.

Yesterday I was grocery shopping. Just in case I forgot that I live in Wisconsin, they have an entire area in the grocery store devoted to jerky. Mostly beef, though I am sure there were some other jerkified meats in there. Does any other state have a jerky aisle? Actually, they refer to it as the 'Jerky Outlet' which does not make it any better. In addition to the jerky section the dairy section here is about two acres. They have more milk than you can possibly imagine, two aisles of cheese and a cooler the size of des moines filled with sour cream. We are America's Dairyland after all. Do you judge people by what is in their cart at the grocery store? I do. And I feel terrified that everyone does the same to me.

Since the theme for today is random, I thought I would mention some other things that have caught my eye recently. One is a church that is named Peace thru Christ Lutheran (I think) Church. Would it really have killed them to spell out the word 'through'? I mean, I don't find thru very spiritual. It makes it seem like a quickie church. I am generally opposed to intentional misspellings, but it seems especially egregious in the case of a church. Kwik Mart is one thing. Peace thru Christ another altogether.

On the drive from here to a town called Black River Falls where we go to see some of my in-laws, there is a place of business. Their slogan is "You be the judge". I have absolutely no idea what their business is. It is impossible to tell. But they are really, really fond of their slogan. In addition to having it written in a permanent plastic sign on the roof, they also have a large painted sign closer to the road which says it again, only on that one judge is in all caps. Oh, and there's a picture of a fence. It is so weird. If I am the judge, I say they really need to emphasize the name of their business a little more.

Not far from the judge on the same road there is an old painted sign. It features what is supposed to be a bashed up car that looks to be from the 70s. The caption is "It was only beer but the end was death." I like it. It's succinct. To the point. I think perhaps they could have added a warning about not drinking and driving for the less perceptive, but there you have it.

If you keep driving down this same road you will also pass the Baraboo Candy Company, Home of the Original Cow Pie. The lesson here is: if you need a few laughs, drive down Highway 12 between Madison and Baraboo, and pay close attention to everything.

Some more advice: if you are feeling down, listen to the song "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles. If you are still in a bad mood after that song, let me know and I will mail you $1. I know what you're thinking - how am I supposed to listen to it? The answer is simple. You need Real Rhapsody. (This is not a paid endorsement, but if anyone at Real Rhapsody is reading just let me know and I would be happy to say many more nice things for a small fee.) It is a totally cool online music service where you pay $10/month and can listen to as many songs and radio stations as you'd like. The only trick is you can't download. Well, you can for 79 cents per track. But it is great. They have almost everything. You can try it for free for some amount of days. And if you're cheap like my friend Chad you can probably do the free thing more than once with different email addresses. But if you like to listen to music while at work and you don't like to buy cds rhapsody is for you. Did you just hear the tail end from some old favorite on the radio and now you are dying to sing along to the whole thing? Rhapsody. Feeling nostalgic for your high school theme song? Rhapsody. Want to know if you want to buy a cd or if the one song you heard is the only good one? Rhapsody. It's great. It's not expensive. You should try it. The end.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?