is it just me?

Thursday, July 07, 2005

 

women and men

yesterday I was in line at a campus deli. the man in front of me was wearing women's clothing. business clothing. A black pencil skirt, some knee high black boots with chunky heels (okay, not really businessy but still), and turquoise shirt. the odd part was that despite his outfit he was not trying to pass himself off as a woman. He had a normal, short, conservative, generic guy haircut. Generic guy glasses. No wig. No makeup. No manicure. He carried a woman's purse (a big one like your mom has), a woman's wallet. I found it baffling. I sort of think of cross dressers wanting to look foxy, but maybe I am confusing them with transvestites. I can't imagine why a man would want to wear boring, frumpy, ill fitting Sears business attire. And I would say perhaps he just finds skirts liberating, but then how do you explain the shoes? Those aren't comfortable. So if it is not comfort and it's not looks, he must just really enjoy dressing like a woman.

Where is this guy on the spectrum? I feel like he doesn't really want to be a woman. But clearly he doesn't just want to be a regular man in regular man clothes. My friend decided he's just an out of the closet cross dresser. I guess. But let me tell you - it's weird. The lady working the counter couldn't even look at him as he counted out his seven dollars. Oh, and he eats like a woman. A turkey sandwich and Baked Cheetos, some trail mix and a diet soda. That's lady food. Part of me wanted to know more about him, and part of me felt as though I knew too much already.

While we're on men and women, I would like to say that I recently tried a product that is definitely for men. It's those wet wipes that you're supposed to use instead of toilet paper. I went to a party at a single guy's house, and he had run out of toilet paper and only had those. This would only ever happen to a single guy. Given no good alternative, I decided to try them. My one word review: ew. First of all, I am most often using toilet paper as a way to dry off. This product definitely does not achieve that goal. Secondly, in the case where I am trying to get clean, at this point I have pretty much mastered doing it with dry paper. I understand that, for whatever reason, men have more problems in this area so perhaps they are fond of the wet wipes. Perhaps the association with changing diapers is just too strong. In any case, I will not be purchasing any for my home.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?