is it just me?

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

 

oh, canada

that title is meant to be said not so much like the regal "oh Canada" of the national anthem but more like oh, canada - you're so silly!

I feel like I should have some great stories to tell after a ten day trip, but I am not sure that I do. I spent two days working in Portland, OR. That was my first trip there, and I rather liked it. Of course, it is sunny there this time of year which makes it easier. And I liked it more than, say, Boulder where the whole town feels kind of fake. Boulder is creepy clean, all the people are good looking and they go for two hour bike rides before getting in to work, hike on their lunch hour, rock climb home and top it all of with a nice jog before eating organic rice and beans from Whole Foods for dinner. In Portland it is nice but they have dirty sidewalks, people asking for money, and a bunch of regular people cruising around working, shopping, etc. I found it kind of comforting. In Boulder I felt like I was on the Truman Show.

One funny story from Portland: we were standing on the corner with our friends getting ready to part ways. We did not pick a good corner for this because we were getting asked for money every two seconds. So then this lady comes up to us and asks for money. We say no. She says "Y'all look pretty happy...I think I know why." But she said it in a very sinister tone of voice. If I hadn't been so uninterested in prolonging the interaction because I didn't want to give her money, I definitely would have asked her why she thought we were happy.

Anyway, after Portland we went to Seattle. It's nice there, though kinda busy. I think I feel like Seattle should be like Madison, but really it's a big city. My stepbrother-in-law showed us around, though, and it seems like a good place. One funny thing (and I really need to learn how to put pictures in here) was a sign that was meant to get you to look out for pedestrians. Instead of the usual, basic "Yield to Pedestrians" there was a graphic with people diving out of the way of a car with the slogan "Think of the harm you could do". It was hilarious. And nicely complemented by the road signs that say "If you litter, it will hurt." weird.

So then we went to Vancouver, B.C. (hence the whole Canada thing). Vancouver is a funny place. It's kind of an international city, with lots of tourists (including lots of Japanese tourists) but friendly Canadian staff. The Canadians really are an amiable bunch. Maybe it's all a front but we really didn't meet very many grouchy people at all. We got caught in rush hour traffic going over a bridge. Four lanes merge in to one. In Boston this would result in lots of honking, jockeying for position, swearing, etc. In Canada they just all take turns converting two lanes into one, then turning those two into one. Completely civilized. Unfortunately we planned poorly enough that we ended up having to experience this twice. I mean, it was nice but I didn't need to do it twice.

I was making a purchase at a women's clothing store. The guy at the register was kind of chatty, and asked where I was from. I told him Wisconsin, in the States. He said "We've been getting loads of Americans this year from random places like Wisconsin." I agreed that Wisconsin is kind of random, though quite close to Canada. Then he says "Just the other day we had some people in here from Alabama." Does he think Wisconsin and Alabama are the same? Are we just equally random? Do people have any idea how big the U.S. is? But he was very nice and wanted to tell me all about the homeless in Vancouver. (the short story: they have a lot of them and apparently at one point the prime minister bought a bunch of homeless people in central canada one-way bus tickets to Vancouver because it's warmer there. Not a very sound public policy, but hey.

If you go to Vancouver, be prepared to hemmorhage money. It's expensive. While you can get some cheap sushi (do NOT go to Nikko, but do go to Kagayo on Davie Street) and some other deals, overall it's expensive. The tourist attractions are ridiculous. And make no mistake about it - there are a LOT of tourists. If you are thinking "wild Canada" then I would skip Vancouver. If you are thinking "cool city with great views and lots of woods around it" then skidaddle on over, because Vancouver is for you.

We stayed at a kind of businessy/tourist hotel. It was very nice. Good service. I felt a little silly as the valet guys opened up the door of my rented Subaru and I climbed out in my dirty hiking clothes, but there you have it. I am sure they are used to it. One day we came back to our room and everything that had been left on the bathroom counter had been meticulously arranged on a washcloth that the maid laid out. I can't imagine why she did that. I also can't imagine how long it takes here to arrange everyone's toothpaste, lotion, deoderant and nail clippers so artistically. They must have a ton of housekeeping staff.

Speaking of staff, one interesting thing is that the prevalance of asians mean that many asians there are doing jobs that you are not accustomed to seeing them do. Like being nannies. Or working at convenience stores. I suppose it is just that I have never lived anywhere where that was the prevalent minority. Worth noting.

One tourist thing that we did that was funny was rent bikes to ride around Stanley Park. This is extremely dangerous, only because they rent out all these bikes and rollerblades to people who don't generally bike or rollerblade, and then send them all out to deal with each other on a narrow path. My husband and I thought it would be funny to rent a tandem bike. It was funny, if you think feeling like you're going to crash and nearly killing two children is funny. Let me tell you - those things are harder than they look. Now, we got better as time wore on (and as we moved away from all the people) but it's a challenge. I am kind of a control freak when it comes to having control over my own body. This is why I don't like skiing and other sports that involve hurtling along at high speeds. So I was sitting on the back of the bike, still trying to steer. But this just wiggles the front of the bike, it has no impact on the actual direction of the bike. So, in general steering from the rear is frowned upon. You're just supposed to hold on. Now I know, and now you have been warned.

in summary...portland: good; seattle: good but crowded; vancouver: good but expensive.
thank you. the end.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?