is it just me?

Friday, October 28, 2005

 

friday

so, the White Sox won the World Series. whoopee. I always find it a little anti-climactic. Especially when they win on the road so there are only like 5 people cheering for them and everyone else is headed for the parking lot. And for some reason they all feel compelled to jump on the mound. It is really impossible to look cool doing this. I think for next year the winning team should come up with something more creative. Like a dance routine or something. Or maybe just a really complicated set of high fives. Did you see the giant closer Bobby Jenks (who is nothing short of 6'3", 270lbs) trying to jump around? You could tell he didn't really want to. He was thinking: I am a big man, and I was not made for jumping around like a school girl. But then he thought - everyone else is doing it, and I don't want it to seem like I'm not excited. Comical, really.

I was watching CSI: Miami on Monday, and I have decided that David Caruso has officially become a caricature of himself. That whole "1. serious face first half of the sentence with the sunglasses on 2. dramatic pause, 3. sunglasses off 4. last half of the sentence" routine is getting very tired. If you watch the show, look for it. Guaranteed at least once per episode. I am glad to see, however, that he is the latest in the line of fake cops to take over in the proud tradition of Office Poncharello as the cop who loves kids. It's so heartwarming. (I'm kidding.) Man I loved C.H.iP.s. What a great show.

The other day I was out for lunch with my friend and we had the unfortunate experience of arriving at a restaurant just after a busload of high school kids who had the day off. Watching high school kids is so entertaining. They all try so hard to look like they're not trying. There was one girl who had meticulously sprayed her ponytail to make it look disheveled. I can't really remember having that kind of time to invest in my appearance, but I am sure I did. Now I am lucky if I actually shower in the morning. The other night I was talking to a friend of mine from high school, and the great thing about doing that is now that we are more than 10 years removed from graduation, almost anything you remember from high school is pretty freakin hilarious. It all takes on such a comic flair once you realize the pointlessness of it all. If you need a good laugh just call some old friend of yours and mention someone really random from highschool and I promise you will both start laughing immediately. I also guarantee that you will come up with at least one person that you feel compelled to google but you won't find them. alas.

Yesterday my boss was talking to me and asked me to walk downstairs with him because he had to go to a 'thing'. I asked him what it was and he said 'just come with me'. So I walk in and on one side of the room there are all these well dressed people and on the other side there are some poorly dressed, confused looking academics. Then all of a sudden they start making a presentation to this guy thanking him for his contribution to Wisconsin agriculture. What? What is going on? Why am I here? SO it turns out that all the dressed up people were his family ("That's my son Travis, and his fried Amy") and the rest of the people just came down because the boss said they had to and had no earthly idea why they were putting a medal (no kidding! a medal!) around this guy's neck. It was truly surreal. So as I was sitting there thinking "how did I get here" I started wondering if the honoree was thinking "how did my life come to this?" Standing there in a sparsely populated conference room filled mostly with people you don't know and your family, with a cheese platter and some punch, talking about your life's work. If that's where I'm headed, kill me now.

Comments:
I have high school kids and I see it everyday.
This year made 20 from school for me and to tell you the truth I could name off to many people I attended with. Quite sad actually. Didn't go to the reunion either for just that reason.
 
That's couldn't name...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?