is it just me?

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

 

red ball of death

okay, despite my post yesterday I have decided to come out of retirement. Yesterday at the gym I saw a notice for Intramural Dodgeball. So, although I swore off competitive sports I have decided dodgeball is worth a comeback.


I am totally kidding. I would rather eat my own eyes than play dodgeball. Why would anyone want to play dodgeball? It's awful. People throw things at you and you are supposed to throw them back. My last memory of dodgeball was in the fifth grade staring in to the mean eyes of the tallest kid in my class, Charles Howard. You really felt like that kid would throw it as hard as he could right at your head completely on purpose without feeling a single second of remorse. I wonder what happened to Charles. Maybe he's still in fifth grade tormenting young kids. In any case, dodgeball seems really un-fun. I am not quite sure why it's so popular in elementary school gym. Kickball, that I understand. Madison has a thriving kickball league (I am totally serious) and that makes sense. It's like baseball but easier. It is not filled with malice. But dodgeball? Pure evil. Needless to say I will not be signing up. [Side note: when spell checking I accidentally replaced all incidences of dodgeball with the word deducible. Ha. I think I got them all back, but now you know just in case.]

So, it's funny that I just saw this posting about deducible because just this weekend I was watching the movie Dodgeball with Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughan on HBO. It's not that great of a movie, though it has it's funny moments. But my question is, when did Ben Stiller decide that he can only play totally ridiculous characters in movies that aren't as funny as they're supposed to be? I mean, really. Zoolander? Maybe he's decided that's his niche market, but I really feel like we might be able to expect something better out of Ben Stiller. Somehow I feel like his character in Something About Mary is who Ben Stiller is, but maybe I'm wrong. But I feel as though he's really heading in to Rob Schneider territory, and that's not anywhere that someone with ambition wants to be. So, Ben, if you're reading start doing better movies before you become the butt of your own joke.

deep in the heart of Texas

so, for years and years my friend Chad has been talking about moving to Texas. But it has always been all talk no action. But then he finally moved there. To some tiny, shit kicker town called Wimberley which is (I think) about 45 minutes from Austin. Now he has a blog to tell the stories of his adventures in Texas. Since he was kind enough to send his five readers over here, and since we have been friends for a long long time, I thought it was only fair that I send my five readers back at him. So if you want to read his Texas Adventures, head on over to his new blog. Now the main part may not be that interesting (what, you don't care what wiscolizard's friend Chad ate for lunch?) but for music fans there is a whole section of concert reviews. Basically he moved to Texas to a) see as many shows as possible and b) work as little as possible and still support a). So if you like the kind of music I quote here, or any music that might play in Austin perhaps you will enjoy.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?