is it just me?

Friday, October 21, 2005

 

that's it, we're through

So, it is now well documented about how annoying it is that people talk loudly on their cell phones anywhere and everywhere. But I often wonder - is it that they think we can't hear them or that they don't care? It's not a big deal if you're just talking about homework, or weekend plans, or whatever other drivel you decide to use your anytime minutes on. But every once in a while something like this happens:

I walked in to the locker room of the gym last night, and as soon as I entered I can hear someone on the phone. This is actually kind of unusual. I don't know if it's the naked old ladies or what, but not many people talk on their phones there. Which is good, because since it has cinderblock walls and is filled with metal boxes it is quite an echo chamber. Anyway, within a few seconds it becomes clear that we are listening to what could very possibly be the beginning of a breakup conversation. As I walk to my locker far in the back, I see the talker. She is sitting there on a wooden bench in her underwear, having a serious conversation. But then it becomes clear that she is not breaking up with her boyfriend, she is breaking up with her friend. She says "You guys aren't the kind of friends I need you to be. I mean, my boyfriend beats me up and none of you even want to talk about it. You're not my real friends, they are all in California" or something like that. Wow. Now you're sitting there in your underwear breaking up with your friends and I know WAY more about you than I ever wanted to. She goes on to tell them how unhappy she is here (which offends the person on the other line) and was still shouting about something or another 10 minutes later when I left for my class. Now, does she really not care that now we all know this stuff? Was she planning to have that conversation in the locker room? I will assume that her friend called her, but if you were that pissed off and half naked in a public place, would YOU answer the phone? I think I'd let that one wait a little bit.

On the subject of friend break ups, I had a friend break up with me in college. I wondered how I could ever be friends with someone who thought a face to face friend breakup (you never call me, I don't feel like you're putting any effort into this relationship) was a necessary occurrence. I mean, at that point I had sort of let things go because said friend did way too many drugs and had habit of totally humiliating herself and others and was needy and crazy. So, you can imagine I didn't lose too much sleep over the breakup. But I hate confrontation, and I just don't need that kind of closure. Once I knew a guy was going to break up with me, and I was talking to him on the phone and knew he didn't want to do it on the phone. No, instead he wanted me to drag myself over to his house so he could do it in person. What a waste of time. Let's just be done with it. And for friends? Can't you just come to some sort of unspoken agreement, after a certain number of unfortunate incidents where it's sort of 'I know that you know that I know that you know that we are no longer friends'. Not in a now-I'm-going-to-slash-your-tires kind of way, more in a now-we-don't-have-to-waste-our-time-on-this-bullshit-but-we-can-still say-hi- in-the-hall way. Maybe that's just me. I have issues with both commitment and confrontation making relationships and their ends truly horrendous.

Also in the locker room I was walking out behind a girl who was wearing pants that said "I Just Farted" across the ass. I have no idea what to say about that. You?

Comments:
Now those sound like some class-ay pants! I wonder if they were given to her as a gag gift by a friend that thought she would never wear them in public, and who now wishes she wasn't friends with such an idiot, or if the girl just went out and bought those for herself.

And the break-up thing? Yeah, I've broken up with a friend on the phone, and felt that was completely acceptable. The boyfriend that last broke up with me? He came over to MY house, dammit. No way in hell I'm gonna put myself out, drag my ass over to a boy's house just so they can break up with me, and then have to drive home after that's happened. That's a pretty shitty guy right there, I think.
 
in fairness, we were 17. maybe he was grounded. who can remember.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?