is it just me?

Monday, November 14, 2005

 

lamb of god

This weekend I traveled to Philadelphia for my niece's christening. In my family, we don't really do christenings (or baptisms or any of those things). But my sister's in-laws are Ukrainian Catholic and christening is a big deal. I think it's a nice idea, and it was a beautiful church. But the ceremony itself was a little nerve-wracking. My poor niece fell asleep on the way to the church, so she had to be woken up for the service. So, they wake her up, stuff her into a fluffy white dress, and take her into the church. The service starts at the back and the baby is handed over to the godmother. They walk down the aisle chanting something, and then she is handed over to the godfather for the remainder of the ceremony. So, the poor godfather has never met this baby before today (he's friends with my brother in law), has no children of his own, and as a medical resident was up until 3 am that morning. Once they pour the water on the baby she (surprise surprise) starts to cry. So now the godfather is trying to get her to stop crying which he has no earthly idea how to do. Then the priest says to him: hold this candle. Are you sure that's a good idea? He's now holding a crying baby in a highly flammable gown (not to mention the oil they're putting on her feet) and you want him to hold a candle? I see how this whole thing could go wrong in a hurry. Fortunately once the wax started dripping on her gown everyone thought better of it and he was allowed to hand the candle to the godmother. I think they probably should have let him hand the screaming baby to his mother but apparently that's not how it works. And the grandmother said that crying is good luck. I assume they say that because I am not sure what kid wouldn't cry, and you want to make it seem like a good thing. Anyway, she was successfully christenend (though apparently started crying each time the nuns touched her, not sure what to make of that).

Some other things I noticed about Philadelphia: 1) they talk funny, 2) they really like to eat a lot, 3) they sell crabs by prices (as in I'll have three $5s and a $7), 4) they really really love Benjamin Franklin. It seems nice there, though big and somewhat uncrowded which while it sounds nice makes the place feel a little rundown. I didn't really see that much of Philly so I can't pass much judgment, but overall I'd give it a 7.

I was feeling kind of depressed before I went and thought maybe a few days with my family would help. Not so much. I realized that if you're depressed it's probably bettter just to drink. (And I wonder how more than half my family ended up as alcoholics.)

Comments:
almost 1 month in between posts?
what gives?
now that you're 30 do you figure you can slack off?
get to it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?