is it just me?

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

single white female

A couple of months ago I was at the dog park and I met a woman about my age who had a dog that looked like my dog. I talked to her for a few minutes, and that was that. Two days later at the bus stop outside my office I see her again. Being honest, I didn't remember her. I mean, I thought she looked vaguely familiar but it was mostly the fact that she was smiling and waving at me that tipped me off. Then I never saw her again. On Friday night we went to a pizza place and as we were leaving I saw her sitting at the bar. Apparently her boyfriend, who and happens to have the same name as my husband, is the manager there. Kind of a weird coincidence but not that big of a deal. Then on Sunday we were shopping at Bed Bath whatever and there she was again, working at the register. I was thinking 'this is weird' but whatever. Then yesterday, after taking the afternoon off and missing two buses (which means I was on a bus I never ride at a time I never ride the bus) I get off and am waiting to cross the street, and there she is right next to me. Now this is freaky. Seriously, if it wasn't all so completely random as to be impossible to be planned, I would think she was stalking me. And probably vice versa. So then she told me that on Saturday she got engaged. I acted really happy for her but I was really thinking - dude, I don't even really know this girl. I mean somehow in bizarro land it now seems like we're good friends and I should totally know that she's engaged, but in reality we have had one real conversation and then four conversations that center around "funny meeting you here". But since I don't have that many friends now I have decided she is my new best friend. But of course I can only see her randomly because I wouldn't know how to get in touch with her if I wanted to, unless I start lurking around her job which, well, if I'm not busy...

Last night was Halloween. We never get trick or treaters. Last night we had one group for a total of seven kids. That's it. All night. How disappointing. THe only good part is the kids made my dog act nutty so it's probably just as well there weren't any more of them. My neighbor also brought over her three month old who was a fairy. cute. But she didn't even take candy so it doesn't count. It's sad because the only thing I like about Halloween is the kids in costumes. Here in Madison the Saturday before Halloween there is a giant street party for college kids. People come from all over. They said there were 100,000 people here. That's a lot, especially since they all crowd in to a small area. A few years ago someone decided it would be fun to riot and now every Halloween we spend weeks talking about security measures and police overtime and every year thousands of kids come and get wasted and cause trouble. So now they say they're going to cancel it, but since 'it' isn't really anything I don't think it will work. They would have to convince all the bars to close which I don't think will be very popular. Anyway, Halloween is supposed to be for kids. I will be happy to see no more fake cobwebs, fake jack-o-lanterns (the kind that just are electric), and other stuff that isn't scary. Speaking of, I was in a State Park over the weekend and they had a "Fright Hike". It was freaky. I think it must have been done by teenage boys. Mostly it was just trash that was strewn about to look scary. There were beheaded teletubbies and weird fake limbs and a 'laboratory' but mostly it was just junk. And lots and lots of fake blood. I didn't like it. Now it's over. And I just get to eat the candy. I do like candy.

Comments:
I wonder what the other lady is thinking about your encounters.

If anything it make for some interesting days.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?