is it just me?

Thursday, January 26, 2006

 

the gauntlet (guilty pleasures)

I used to really enjoy MTV's the Real World. I could watch a marathon with the best of them. I mean, it's kind of the TV version of People Magazine. I have to admit that I can't really watch it anymore. Maybe it's because I am too old, or because they have run out of interesting people. In any case, I haven't followed it in years. However, I did still watch when they were in New Orleans. If you watched it, you'll remember Julie, the latest in a proud line of naive virgins that started with the original Julie from Alabama in New York (the first time). Julie (for those of you who aren't familiar) was a Mormon from Utah, and took time away from BYU to do the show. Now, sending someone from BYU to the raunchy capital of the world was sure to provide for some entertainment. Once Julie got a little bit a freedom, she started to get a little crazy. (Not too bad, but more than just drinking caffeine.) She dyed her hair, flirted with boys, and generally became a little less Utah and a little more NO. Last night I was at a meeting for this thing I do outside of work. Several months ago the group got a new loan fund manager. She's young, was working at an investment bank in California but is originally from Utah. When she got her she wore suits and long sleeves in the summer. She had long, straight, naturally blond hair and seemed impossibly wholesome. A few months back we had a get together at a bar. While I can't remember if she was drinking, she was at least in a bar, wearing a skirt and small shirt. And the next month she dyed her hair red and brown. And I thought to myself "Oh my gosh, it' s Julie from real world". It's like the Mormon rumspringer. Now she has a boyfriend, her hair is yet another color, she's started cracking a lot more jokes (they're not all that funny but hey, she hasn't had a lot of practice). So hear this, be careful sending your mormon daughters out into the world. They're ripe for a revolution.

So, although I can no longer watch Real World somehow I can stomach the Real World/Road Rules Challenge. I mean, the drama is still annoying but at least there are physical challenges involved. But it's kind of sad that some people are still doing them. I mean, really. That guy Mark? What is he, 40? And he's with crazy big boob Robin from whatever show? And Julie is still there. I think she didn't really know what to do after RW. I think I read somewhere that BYU wouldn't let her back in because she did something horrible. And she got in some feud with Melissa because Melissa said Julie was stealing her speaking engagements. Really? People pay these people to speak to others? I mean, I find Real World interesting but I don't think that makes them motivational speakers. Basically those two spent 5 months drooling over the same "hot" guy (I have to admit I never care much for this character. Most of them aren't that hot and they are all dumb.) So anyway, I feel sad that these people keep doing this stuff (don't they have jobs?) yet I must watch. The gauntlet is so Celebrity Death Match. Oh, and as further proof that all random things come from Wisconsin, there was that guy Sean Duffy who's a lumberjack. His family is all into log rolling (trying to stand on a log in water) and now he is a commentator for the Great Outdoor Games on ESPN. And he married fellow Real Worlder young Republican Rachel from San Francisco. Speaking of, does anyone know if Judd and Pam stayed together? That's some old school RW trivia right there. Apparently I have a problem.

shot spot
Since my husband says this blog is basically just a new place for me to talk about things that annoy me, I figure I will make him right at the risk of alienating all 8 of my readers because you have no idea what you're talking about. As previously discussed, I enjoy watching sports on tv. One sport I enjoy is tennis, and recently I have been watching the Australian Open, which shows on ESPN2. So, they have this computer aided thing that can recreate where a shot went. I don't really know how it works, but it's called Shot Spot and they are really fond of it. It's basically an animated replay. While I am sure it is fairly accurate, for some reason they have decided that it is a legitimate way to decide if a call is correct. So, when it's questionable they say "let's see what Shot Spot says" and they show the graphic and then declare authoritatively "IN" or "OUT". The program seems to rely a lot on shadow analysis which makes it even more shady (pun intended) in my opinion. I don't mind technology, but let's be realistic about what it can actually do.

Speaking of technology, would all the smart people who are making computer programs for tennis please start working on how to make tools for dentists that don't look like ancient torture devices and are no more sophisticated than just scraping? Really, you can remove things from the body without actually cutting it open, you can cure cancer with radiation waves but all they can do for our teeth is just jab at them with sharp objects? Come on, engineers. Get on it. (Can you tell I went to the dentist this morning?)

Comments:
As I recall, Julie was not allowed to return to BYU because she had broken one of the cardinal rules of the school: No living with members of the opposite sex. As she clearly had to be doing so in order to participate in such debauchery as a "Real World" season, the school didn't even need to wait until they aired the show to know that she had erred against the Lord's way in such a blatant manner. They told her to buzz off, she said, "Whatever!" and went on her merry little guest-speaking way.

And I tried to watch an episode of the Gauntlet II last week, but didn't recognize anyone. I don't know if they're all that new, or if they've all grown that old, but somehow, none of them looked familiar to me. I only gave it a couple of minutes, really, and I'm sure that had I stayed, I would have seen Mike (a.k.a. "The Miz"), Ruthie, and a host of other people that keep returning for the free ride whenever it's been offered, but I haven't been interested in keeping up with it, for some reason.

And I fully agree with you on the dentist tool change idea. Someone should get on that quick, yo.
 
check this out for all that you ever wanted to know and more:
www.realworldroadrules.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?