is it just me?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

off to a good start

apparently those gals at go fug yourself and I are on the same page. I cannot tell you how much this pleases me.

Okay, tell me what you think of this, and it is important that you be honest: on Friday night we were invited to drive out to the country to some friends' land to help them with their annual prairie burn. We thought this would be fun, and so we went. Do we have a serious problem, or is this okay? Do I need to leave Wisconsin immediately, or is it okay to stay a while longer? Does it make it better or worse that we went bowling on Saturday?

The prairie burn was a total bust because it was too hot and windy and the Department of Natural Resources wouldn't give them permission to burn. So we just hung around for a while and then ate the good food that our friend's mom had made for everyone. It was not unenjoyable, though a little strange. Perhaps the gem of the evening was some guy dressed in a sleeveless shirt and track pants who said "So, that pregnancy thing. How's that going for you? I mean, you've got a baby in there, right?" Right.

The other highlight was we were talking to the dad of our neighbor (the ones who invited us). He told us that they were re-doing their bedroom. Somehow it came up that his wife was sewing all new linens for the bedroom. This included matching (and not just coordinated, but all the same) comforter, pillows, curtains and SHOWER CURTAIN. Sounds scary if you ask me. Anyway, the guy says that he likes the fabric that she picked, but it was kind of expensive. And he was worried that it will look dated. (I know you are wondering where I am going with this boring story. Stick with me.) I could not help myself. I said "what's the fabric like?" Apparently it's turquoise. With putty colored accents. Um....I think this look was dated quite a while ago. And don't worry - she bought some fringe. And tassles. Even my husband had to admit that I deserved an Emmy for my reaction. I was nothing but southern charm and enthusiasm. Until I got in the car. But hey - I held on as long as was necessary. And speaking of bad 80s fabric, can anyone explain to me WHY that is the only thing they will make futon covers out of? I mean, I know the heyday of futons as real furniture has kind of passed, but still. Lots of people have em and we don't really want to cover them with splatter paint covers. Seriously.

And while we're on the topic of nothing, can anyone explain to me Jon Cusack's truly atrocious wardrobe in the otherwise fantastic High Fidelity? Seriously, it just goes from bad to worse. I feel like maybe it was a conscious decision, but I am not sure what that decision was. To make him look like a total tool who still gets the girl? And what happened to that girl? She seems like a good actress. Has she been in anything else? (Okay, I got curious and looked her up. Her name is Iben Hjejle which was probably a major obstacle to her getting famous in this country. Apparently she is Danish and has appeared in a ton of movies in Denmark, Finland and Sweden. Too bad for America. I kind of like her.) As a final note on High Fidelity (which I recently watched on tv for about the 10th time and which is one of a very select number of movies I could stand to watch that many times), there is a guy who rides my bus who is the doppelganger of the guy who works in the store who I think is named Dirk. You know, the one who hooks up with Sara Gilbert who will forever be Darlene from Roseanne.

If you like the show 24 and you don't particularly care for our President, don't you think it's great that they have made the President a corrupt bastard who thinks he can get away with anything, and that Homeland Security is the bad guy? And it's on Fox! I love it.

So I was already thinking today would be a good day because it is gorgeous out and my boss isn't in and they have my favorite lunch special at the Union. And once I saw that go fug yourself I knew I was right. Happy Tuesday everyone.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?