is it just me?

Thursday, June 29, 2006

 

living on earth is expensive

but it includes a free trip around the sun.

that was the subject message of my crazy friends of inner child suicide fame. they sent me another that said "ever stop to think, and forget to start again?" I'm telling you, those are some wacky viagara sellers.

as you know, I ride the bus. in order to make busses more accessible to elderly and disabled folks, they have something called a kneeling bus. basically the driver can push a button and the front corner of the bus where you board lowers closer to the ground. it makes quite a lot of commotion, as it involves beeping, hissing, etc. Unfortunately, my afternoon bus driver has decided that I need the bus to kneel. granted, I am seven months pregnant, and certainly not as agile as I used to be, but I can still get on the bus. And as someone who really, really hates to have attention drawn to them having the bus kneel for me is totally humiliating and awful. As if walking around with a giant basketball stuffed under your shirt didn't draw enough attention to me. Perhaps I will have to start walking to work. (Just kidding. It's much too far for somene in my delicate condition.)

I only have one friend here at work - she's the only young, female, non-crazy faculty or staff member in this whole building. And she's moving. This is terrible news. I go hide in her office and bitch and gossip at least once a day, and now she's leaving me here with all these academic crazies all by myself. I may not ever forgive her. However, in her honor I am having a wine party at my house tonight. This will be the first time my boss has ever been to my house. I find that I am vaguely terrified. He has us over for dinner occasionally and serves us delicious food and expensive wine so I have always been afraid to have him over because usually I cook things like tacos and drink beer. but anyway, he's coming. And he's terrified of dogs. I have a nice little dog, but he's kind of a nut. if my dog scares my boss I will never ever hear the end of it. yikes! wish me luck.

In my last post I forgot to mention that my sister who lives in New York (she moved to Brookly from Manhattan a couple of years ago) came to visit. It hink anyone who lives in NYC thinks anyone who lives in Wisconsin is at least partly out of their mind. And while I think she found the fine city of Madison perhaps nicer than she had imagined, kind of cute even, she still thinks we're crazy for living her. NOw, I am not sure she'd ever admit it, but it's true. People from New York just can't imagine how we could live in a place like this. It's small, it's midwestern, it's cold a lot, the shopping is terrible, and it's really close to Iowa. This is probably why this was her first visit in the five years I have lived here. I somehow imagine it could also be her last. She's seen it now, so really - why come back? There is no real compelling issue to see it again, and I, for one, won't force the issue. I know better.

Comments:
My dad hasn't been here to visit me in Kansas since 1996. And that was back when my sister lived here too and was pregnant with her first child and needed help preparing for her family's move back to California.

He told me once that as soon as they figure out a way to put Kansas in between California and Hawaii, he'll stop through and visit me all the time.

I think he believes the midwest is actually some sort of atomic wasteland, or something. To him, it sucks more than anything else he could possibly imagine.

And if I were you, I'd be yelling at the bus driver, asking him if he can't make that bitch get even lower to the ground, dammit! (I bet he might just stop lowering it at all for ya after that.) :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?