is it just me?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

 

On Wisconsin

My two alma maters faced off last night in the ACC-Big Ten challenge. Since I love college basketball, having my two teams play each other was very exciting. In the end I was kind of cheering for Duke, though it was sort of an involuntary reaction to watching a game in Cameron. I kept forgetting that those were my Wisconsin Badgers. Unfortunately, the Badgers got killed, and I was hoping for a better game but oh well.

Anyway, during the first few minutes of the broadcast, they showed a somewhat heavyset, middle-aged woman with a cheesehead on. At first I thought, come on – can’t we find a somewhat more flattering representation of this fine state? But upon further consideration I thought “Yeah, it’s kind of like that.” As I have mentioned before, once I moved here I realized that Wisconsin is one of the go-to places when you need a random reference in movies or tv. It is the flyover zone between the two coasts. It is not next on the list of terrorist targets. But it’s a nice little place where the people are relatively friendly and the weather is bad and the food is fattening and the beer and cheese are delicious. Just the other day I was leaving our parking ramp and I held the door for someone behind me. I had to wait a few seconds, no big deal. When he gets to the door he says “Thank you! I apologize for dawdling so! I am not quite with it yet, it is Monday after all.” And I thought – who talks like that? Dawdling so? Seriously. But people in Wisconsin do. All the time.

On the radio this morning they were talking about the tally from deer gun hunting season. The gun season here is only nine days long, which always seems short to me, and means there is a LOT of shooting in those nine days. Seriously, you cannot engage in outdoor recreation anywhere with a tree during those nine days. We mistakenly went out to a state park with our dog during the season last year and now he owns a blaze orange vest. Haha. So, how many deer were killed in nine days? 343,644. I am not kidding. Three hundred and forty-three THOUSAND deer killed in nine days. That’s more than 38,000 deer per day. (I was a math major.) That is insane. This is reported on the news, along with the number of hunters killed. On the radio one DJ was saying that at another station she used to work at they had a pool about how many hunters would be killed and “heart attacks didn’t count”. Haha.
Also newsworthy in Wisconsin this morning: the fact that you will not be able to see the Packers game in Madison if you don’t have NFL network. People are outraged. We already can’t see anything but national coverage of UW football and basketball, and now no Packers. People here are serious about the Packers. They paint their houses green and gold. They dress the entire family in packer gear and take pictures. We LOVE the packers. So people are not happy. Not happy at all.

One final note, at my ten year college reunion I had to tell lots of people that I live in Wisconsin. Since I went to college on the east coast, with lots of other people from the coasts, this is unusual. Most people said “Really? Why Wisconsin?” But several people said to me “Man, everyone lives in Wisconsin!” which I thought was strange because I don’t know anyone else from college here. But it turns out that one of the nicest, prettiest girls in my whole class lives here. You know the girl - everyone knows her. I bet you could ask almost anyone in my graduating class about this girl and they would say “Oh, she’s so nice.” I would say that and I have never even met her. Seriously. So she was there, and everyone was talking to her and hearing that she lived in Wisconsin which became ‘everyone’ living in Wisconsin. Haha. Unfortunately, since I am not the person that everyone knows she does not know me so we aren’t friends, which is too bad because it’s hard to find anyone who cares about Duke around here. Oh well.

If you meet someone and they are from Wisconsin, I would suggest not asking them about cheese or cows. It gets old. It’s not quite as irritating as living in Boston and having people say “do you pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd?” but it’s close.

Round and round
Last night was a rough night with Baby Lizard and no one got enough sleep. She woke up late this morning, meaning I had to try to throw her in some clothes and get out the door. But trying to rush a 15 month old is about as easy as herding cats, and several temper tantrums, a smashed banana and much whining later we were out the door, more than 20 minutes behind schedule. I currently have a CD of kids’ music in the car that, while kind of annoying, makes the little Liz very happy. During the break between songs she immediately says “more?” which of course there always is. But as I was singing how much “I like to oat opples and bononos” just minutes before I was due at the office, I was thinking: today I don’t know if I can do this. Being a working mom is hard. It is hard to switch gears. I have don’t have much trouble completely devoting myself to my child when at home, but I do have trouble completely devoting myself to work when I am away from her. It is hard to be singing kid songs, then come in, set your bags down and make phone calls to update someone on a new impact evaluation project in Kenya and balance a budget. But I think some days I do really well at being a mom, some days I do really well at being a worker, some days I am great at both, and other days I fail miserably at both. Today, unfortunately, falls in category four but the good news is there is always tomorrow to wake up and try again, hopefully on more than 5.5 hours of sleep. Until then, the wheels on the bus still go round and round, all over town.

Comments:
I've started getting the question about how I like marriage.

I don't know what to say half the time. The other night I told a friend that I thought I had grown devistatingly pretty since the wedding, but otherwise, everything seems the same. She, of course, agreed with the prettiness (she's a good friend), and then we went on as normal.

I'm tired of it, though. Marriage is...marriage. Was something supposed to happen that I was unaware of?
 
yes. you are supposed to see fireworks. and your hair should get shinier.

why do people ask dumb questions like that? just look them in the eye and tell them that marriage gives you a rash. sad but true.

upon returning from my honeymoom I had a message from my friend in texas (who had been at my wedding) that said "so, what was it like to have sex for the first time?" I laughed out loud.
 
Heh. That would make me laugh out loud, too.

If people don't know what to say, they shouldn't say anything at all, I think. I think we've all asked the inane question now and again, but I guess I just figured it out for the most part when I was growing up. With a twin.

"So, what's it like being a twin?"

Not kidding. All throughout my childhood, people would ask us that question. Maybe it's become more commonplace for people to run into them in this "day and age" but I haven't heard that question in years. And I never knew how to answer it when I was a kid, either. Before my sarcasm gene came into full bloom. All I ever said was, "It's usually pretty neat."

I should just move under a rock, shouldn't I?
 
I am so happy you are back to blogging! Congrats on the baby! I was having the most boring day at work until I decided to check your blog. This made my year. I'm so glad I never deleted you from my favorites.
 
yay! me too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?