is it just me?

Friday, January 18, 2008

 

peel me a grape

This week I have been thinking about eating sugar and how, well, I shouldn't do it. I had two cavities filled, and then had to go back and have one repaired the following day, so I have been much more aware of what I put in my mouth. I have actually kind of convinced myself that all my cavities have more to do with genetics than sugar, but maybe that is just to help me sleep at night. Anyway, you know how diets will say to eat a piece of fruit instead of dessert? I am here to report that shit does not work. Just in case you were thinking of trying it.

While we are on the subject of nutrition, I got an email yesterday that was sent to a group of moms that I am friendly with. The woman had several things to share with us, including that her daughter loves Whole Foods granola bars but she hates giving her all that sugar, so she found something called a LaraBar which is sweetened with dates (blech) and filled with fruit. And she's so happy and they're so great and she and her prodigy organic baby are going to live happily ever after. And you know what: I seriously cannot take shit like that AT ALL. It drives me insane almost instantly. I had to delete them email so I would not be tempted to reread it and be filled with rage. Why? I don't know. I mean, it's innocent enough, 'I found a good thing for you to feed your kid'. But the mention of Whole Foods (which I adore) and the whole attitdue of the teh message felt like she was trying to prove what an awesome parent she was. Which she may well be, but not because she feeds her kid candied dates. I have this problem with a lot of highly educated pseudo-hippy moms (and here in Madison we have a LOT of those). If I really loved my kid I would still have her in my bed nursing all night and when we're not bonding skin to skin we would engage only in really educational activities. We would go to fancy classes for music and whatever and she would know 100 baby signs and everything would be wholesome and organic and amazing. I definitely would not work full time and leave my child with (gasp) strangers who are undoubtedly polluting both her body and her mind. Can you tell I'm bitter about this? Of course it's only because of my own insecurity about parenting choices but at least I do not send out emails about them. So after reading that message I stuffed baby lizard full of swedish fish and fanta, let her watch a lot of inappropriate television and sent her to bed. so there.

(Okay, I actually started this post last Thursday, and am now finishing on Monday.) I saw said earth mama at a girls' night out on Thursday. It came to light that she and her husband were "semi professional" salsa dancers when they lived in DC. Of course they were. She also said that she is hoping to get a job, but she currently can't find "suitable" child care. She knows I work which basically means she is telling me I use unsuitable child care...so, see previous paragraph. alas.

It's snowing again here. How novel! We had these huge mounds of snow after December, and then miraculously we had a January thaw. While I kind of missed the high stakes game of peekaboo that you have to play every time you turn a corner since the plow mounds were so high you couldn't see around them, it was nice to see the ground again. But, it didn't last. Fortunately I was lamenting not having taken a picture of baby lizard in huge snow mounds, so now I will get my chance. It has also been insanely freezing which is a total drag. Did you see all those crazy people at the Packers game with no shirts on? There is no need for that. You can cheer in a sweatshirt. Honestly. I have come to the conclusion that I really hate driving in the snow, and I think I would really enjoy having a personal driver. Unfortunately I had to take my car to the dealer to get fixed because it had a problem only the dealer can fix. It was a big fancy dealership and they have free snacks and coffee and internet and all other kinds of stuff. When I made my appointment they asked if I would like to use their shuttle service. YES, yes I would. So this nice young man gave me a ride to work, and even stopped at my house on the way to pick up something I forgot. How awesome is that? Then he picked me back up and took me to get my car. I am totally mystified as to why all those silly little starlets get DUIs. Girls, hire a driver. 1) It's so much nicer than driving yourself; 2) you can afford it; and 3) you won't get arrested nearly as often. Everybody wins. So, if I ever get super rich (which I really don't see happening, but I think it is important to plan ahead) I think I would like to have driver. Actually, I guess the bus is kind of the ghetto version of having a driver, and even that isn't so bad. But the personal driver thing is way better.

An aside on the trip to the dealer: I looked at my car as I was getting out and was kind of humiliated at the condition of the interior. It is very child abused, and there was an entire ziploc of cheerios that baby lizard had dumped on the floor and I hadn't had time (or inclination) to vacuum up. There was an assortment of things strewn across the back seat, etc. You know how it is. But my favorite part is that they bring out those paper things and put them on the floor to protect the mats. I want to say "did you not see the baby bomb shrapnel in the back seat? did you not notice that a family of mice could eat for a year off the cheerios in the back? do you really think you need to protect my mats?" But, they did. They also washed the exterior of my car, probably to help themselves sleep better at night.

Last week was a week of maintenance. I got my drain fixed, my teeth fixed, and my car fixed. Make no mistake about it, my life is very glamorous. Getting older, owning a house and having kids all help you be so carefree! Blech.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?