is it just me?

Sunday, December 02, 2007

 

hello winter

well, I suppose I knew winter was here when on the radio the other day they said "it's going to be nice today: 29 and sunny". yikes. You know, it seems crazy when they say it, but today I found myself saying "it's pretty warm out" when it was 34 degrees. And the truth is, that in Wisconsin in winter you have to appreciate 34 for what it is, namely not THAT bad. And while I always feel pretty depressed this time of year about the endless months of impending cold, I am kind of used to it. It's going to be harder with a kid, that's for sure. Last winter I just zipped her into her little carrier inside my coat and she had no idea it was cold. Now, not so much. And no one has bothered to tell my dog that this weather is horrendous. Yesterday it snowed for a while, and then it started sleeting. Lovely. When this happens, I hibernate. I do not drive in the snow if I can possibly avoid it. Last night I was forced to go out with my dog who was so excited about the snow he nearly exploded. So finally I got to a place where I let him run and chase squirrels and he was so happy. Unfortunately for him, every animal with half a brain (a category which lamentably does not include my dog and apparently does include squirrels) was hiding somewhere warm so he just had to run in circles which didn't bother him one bit. I also do not shovel. That is why I married someone from Minnesota. He spent hours this morning shoveling the world's heaviest snow, and he did it in a t-shirt. I wish I was kidding. anyway, it's winter. the end.

On Friday it was cold, so I picked my dog up before going to get my kid so he could run around without my creating a popsicle baby. I came home and he could tell something was up. He sat there staring at me with one ear cocked back. Our 'conversation' went something like this:

dog: sayit sayit sayit sayit sayit
me: what's up buddy?
dog: sayit sayit sayit saythemagicword sayit sayit
me: do you wanna go for a ride?
dog:omigod omigod omigod omigod (running around like a madman) shesaidit shesaidit shesaidit
me: ride? (at this point just egging him on because it is really fun to make someone's day)
dog: *delirously running around trying not to pee in the house out of excitement*

and off we went. He had a great time, as always. And I thought: I wish I was as easy to please as my dog. I cannot remember the last time someone genuinely made my day. I mean, you say "oh, that totally made my day" but usually whatever happened does not make a whole day. A few hours, perhaps, but the whole day? My dog goes ballistic for shreds of cheese, the word ride, the word cookies, a bone, and any number of other things. And you know, the kid is kind of the same. She is still new enough to communication that when she asks for something by name (a rare occurrence) and it magically appears it still kind of amazes her. She also gets really excited about breakfast everyday. By the time I get to her tray with today's delicacy (say, scrambled eggs) she is almost beside herself. Often she will go so far as to shriek with delight over a toaster waffle. I think I need to absorb some of that attitude from my dependents. In fact, we all do. Wouldn't the world be a happier place? (Though, come to think of it if someone cooked breakfast for me everyday I would be pretty effing excited. Though, I don't do shrieking.)

things I have been meaning to post

1. is it really true that cops have quotas for speeding tickets? I always thought that was baloney until on Wednesday and Thursday I saw four people pulled over and three other speed traps. It was November 28th and 29th. Coincidence? You be the judge.

2. People magazine gives me lots of blog fodder. From this week alone:
Apparently Dennis Quaid's trophy wife is his soulmate. How convenient for him that his soul's mate is housed in the body of a leggy 36 year old blond. If you were Meg Ryan (who if I recall was responsible for their divorce and briefly dated Colin Farrell - by the way where the hell is that guy? - so perhaps who is she to judge) wouldn't you be kind of pissed? They were married for a long time and know he's telling everyone that *this* is the person for him. I guess it happens all the time.

Valerie Bertinelli says that after dieting persimmons are her new favorite snack. Valerie Bertinelli is a liar.

Note to the crazy Dutch kid who they keep arresting for killing that girl in Aruba: it is probably no advisable to write a book about the situation, and in said book say "Lying became a habit because it makes things so much easier." oops. Now that he is in custody again I bet hie wishes he could take that back.

Also, in the letter section, someone calls Katie Holmes out for her 5.5 hour marathon time which was listed in People as 'respectable'. Ha. No it's not. Now, I can't run a marathon but I think I could walk one (without training) in about 6.5 hours. So, if I practiced walking fast I could probably do it in 6, maybe even 5.5 So, the guy who wrote the letter ran the marathon in 2:36 (i.e. FAST) and called her time 'disrespectful to the marathon'. haha. Mr. Lizard has a personal best time of 2:29 (FAST) and he agreed that 5:29 is an abomination. This is reason #254 that we hope baby Lizard gets her athletic genes from her father.

with all that celeb gossip, crazy true crime stories, and general insanity, I do not understand why everyone in America does not read People. Trust me, it will make your day.

3. We do a secret Santa gift exchange with my husband's step family (don't get me started - yet another reason to stay together for the kids). I always get his grandpa. Well, I have had him three out of four years I think. The other year I got his step dad. This year I have his uncle (guess I hope they don't read this!) and on his list is an oil pump filter from some outdoor store. I am not kidding. Oh, with extra filters. I guess I will wrap those separately to build the suspense. Why can't I get one of the girls?? I might actually enjoy shopping for my sister in law or step-aunt-in-law (haha). Oh well, maybe next year.

I need to get a notebook. I had more things but I forgot them all. oh well. another day.

Comments:
Dennis Quaid cheated on Meg Ryan many times while they were married so I'm sure she could not care less about his trophywife.
 
really? good to know.
 
My dog is stupid. She's cute, but she's definitely not as developmentally talented as all the other dogs I know in the world. She doesn't react to words at. all. She does seem to be figuring out "bone" and "kong" but it's been slow to come, seriously. As for "car," "walk," "ride," or anything else that almost 2-year-old dogs are familiar with, she doesn't have that going for her. She does get excited when I start to put on my walking shoes, so maybe she's just more of a visual dog than anything else. Come to think of it, she gets excited when I go into her food storage bin and start rustling around in it for something other than food (which is what I do when I'm getting her a treat), so I might be onto something there. In the mean time, I guess I can be lucky that unlike my Twin, I can go on for now without having to spell out certain words around my fuzzy loveable hairball of fun.

And yeah...even if I did lose 40 pounds, my favorite snack would still be Cheetos Puffs, goddammit. I hope she gains 20 of it back, just for making a comment like that.
 
Another argument for the fact that they DO have quotas - the weather. I was just telling my husband if I were a cop I would never pull someone over in the winter. I'm not getting out of my car.
 
well, despite the things I say about him my dog is really quite smart. and exceedingly trainable. yesterday I was trying to decide if I thought he knew the word quesadilla. I asked the kid if she wanted one (she did not answer) and before I had even cracked the fridge door the dog appeared in the kitchen looking hopefully, when only moments before he had been sound asleep. hmmm....

oh, and Nicole - I wouldn't pull anyone over in winter here either. In fact, you can't pull them over because the giant plow mounds fill all the shoulders. another reason to stay in your cruiser. payback is a bitch, though: I saw a cruiser stuck in the snow this morning. haha.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   November 2010   June 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?